I suggest you read my first post to gain an idea of why I'm doing this blog!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Saving Gas!

Hey everyone!  Today I took another trip to my college town to check my mail and do some work in my job at the college as the Band Librarian.  I love that job - I love being an important part of my department, and also having my department fund my schooling!  I love it!   Today I spent my time cleaning up after last semester.  After collecting most of the students music I spent today sorting it out into pieces, then putting the individual parts in score order, and then putting the pieces in their folders.  Since I still haven't collected everyone's music I'm waiting to put the music away so I can avoid having to pull out all the pieces again over and over as people slowly hand back their music.  I already have all the music copied for next semester, and mostly handed out.  Yay!

I also got to check my mail and such - one package down, 5 more to go.  I ate at 5 Guys Burgers - probably the only meal I'll get today so I don't mind about the extra calories - especially since they're SOOO amazing right!  Check them out if you haven't already (www.fiveguys.com), and I will happily admit that I shamelessly dunked my fries in the goodness Idahoans and Utahns call Fry Sauce (1/2 mayo 1/2 ketchup), delish.  So perhaps you guys have seen the men or women that walk around in their church clothes with tags on their lapel and backpacks on your back.  That's right - the 'dreaded' Mormon Missionaries.  I am not ashamed to admit that I belong to the Mormon Religion - and I actually ran into a group of 4 Elders (male missionaries) at the burger joint.  We have a family rule to buy missionaries food whenever we can (especially because my twin brother is currently serving a mission in Mexico), so I paid for their meal.  It was a great feeling to do another little bit of service.

Since the drive from my college town to my mom's town is only around 45 miles, I decided to try something that my boy Johnny (remember Johnny?) filled me in on.  Driving at 65 MPH gives you maximum gas mileage.  Let me tell you - it works!  I drove 65 the entire way home and it increased my gas mileage around 10 MPG, getting an average of 40 MPG in my little Honda Fit.  I know what you're thinking - I can't afford to waste my time driving that slow!  WRONG!  Going 65 MPH VS 75 MPH only adds  6 seconds a mile, which means 1 minute every 10 miles, and only 10 minutes every 100 miles!  10 minutes for 100 miles?  That wouldn't even make a difference in most people's travel plans!  Bathroom breaks take longer than 10 minutes!  Trust me - if you are planning any trips - it's totally worth it!  (For the record - it would take about 144,000 miles to add an entire day to your trip - and I don't know many people who drive that distance on a regular basis).  Try it if you commute to work, leave 5 minutes early or skip the drive thru and save money from gas and wear on your car!

Thanks for your comments everyone - keep them coming! And Ca88andra - according to Self.com toasting lowers calories - but only around 10 calories a piece.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment. You are so lucky your college owes you money! Oh and 5 Guys Burgers is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good trip with the slower driving! I should try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 guys is heavenly!! That was really nice- what u did for the Missionaries. Good deal!

    ReplyDelete